5 Things You Probably Don't Know About Sushi
24 Jul 2020
1. YOU CAN DITCH THE CHOPSTICKS
When it comes to eating nigiri sushi, otherwise called 'nigirizushi', you don't actually need chopsticks. Nigiri sushi, which includes rice at the bottom, should be eaten with your hands. Chopsticks were originally intended for only eating sashimi (raw fish).
2. IT'S NOT FROM JAPAN (PER SE)
However, it was brought to Japan. Over 2000 years ago, sushi was taken to Japan from Southeast Asia, where popular reference suggests, perhaps via the Mekong River.
3. SUSHI IS NOT SASHIMI
Great news for the hardcore fans of sushi rolls? The meaning of sushi is probably one of the most common misconceptions to ever occur. While many are led to believe that sashimi is the basis for sushi, and that the two are interdependent, this is incorrect. Sushi correctly denotes 'cooked rice' not raw fish.
4. SUSHI CHEF OR SAMURAI?
After looking at these nine Japanese knives (pictured above), it makes sense that these sushi knives were most likely, derived from samurai swords. Professional sushi chefs are particularly renowned for their knife-sharpening skills, as their set of sushi knives must be sharpened daily. To master the grand art of sushi, one must enter samurai mode?
5. SIX SORTS OF SUSHI
It's a sushi party! Sushi, commonly, comes in the following six sorts:
• Makizushi - the rolled variety with various fillings inside.
• Nigirizushi (or 'Nigiri Sushi') - the hand-pressed variety, which contains a slice of raw fish over a bed of rice.
• Inarizushi (or 'Inari Sushi') - the Inari variety, where Inari sushi appears as a range of light brown pouches carrying various fillings in each.
• Oshizushi - the pressed variety, which sees the creation of the special mould 'oshibako'; the result of pressing sushi toppings together with a block of rice.
• Chirashizushi - the scattered sushi variety, which scatters a mix of raw fish and vegetables within a bowl.
...and finally, Narezushi, the mature variety - otherwise referred to as 'fermented fish'.
Satisfy your cravings for 'some of the city's best gourmet sushi' at MacArthur Central's Love Roll Sushi + Poke Brisbane, open 6 days a week on the Lower Ground Level, where popular choices include: Crispy Chicken, Avocado Roll, Fresh Salmon and much more.
We know you will LOVE it!